Range topping Camaro SS to be available late in the year.
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro pre-orders commence on August 13 in the USA, confirms a leaked document obtained by CamaroNews.com.
The publication’s source claims that production would possibly start on August 22. The leaked document also suggests that the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS will go into production on October 13, with other models following it by the end of the year.
The leaked pre-order and production dates apply only to the coupe. The Convertible model is to go on sale in early 2016.
To recap, the sixth generation Camaro is 4784 mm long (-57 mm), 1897 mm wide (-20 mm) and 1348 mm tall (-28 mm). The reduced body size has resulted in the wheelbase reducing by 41 mm, from 2852 mm to 2811 mm. The curb weight has reduced more than 200 lbs (90.71 kg). The V6 engine-equipped new generation model is almost 300 lbs (136 kg) lighter than the outgoing generation model. As reported earlier this month, it weighs just over 3,402 lbs (1,543 kg).
The Alpha platform borrowed from Cadillac underpins the all-new model and provides it 28% more rigidity. 70% of the architectural components are unique to the Camaro.
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro range will include two models – LT and SS. RS package will be available optionally.
2016 Chevrolet Camaro Engine options
- 2.0-liter SAE-certified turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 275 hp (205 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) of torque
- 3.6-liter naturally aspirated V6 engine that produces 335 hp (250 kW) and 284 lb.-ft. (385 Nm) of torque
- 6.2-liter LT1 direct-injected Small Block V8 engine that produces 455 hp (339 kW) and 455 lb.-ft. (617 Nm) of torque
The V8 engine will be exclusive to the SS model.
2016 Chevrolet Camaro Transmission options
- 6-speed manual
- Hydra-Matic 8L45 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- 6-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match
- Hydra-Matic 8L90 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters
The 6-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match and the Hydra-Matic 8L90 8-speed automatic transmission options will be exclusive to the SS model.
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro and Camaro Convertible will be built at GM’s Lansing Grand River Assembly plant in Michigan, USA.
2016 Chevrolet Camaro – Image Gallery
2016 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible – Image Gallery