Hyundai has launched its global flagship model Genesis in Australia. The model launched in Australia is the all-new second-generation Genesis which is the first one to be available in right-hand-drive.
With prices starting at AU$60,000, Hyundai has positioned the new Genesis right in the premium-luxury segment. The mid-range Genesis Sensory Pack is priced at AU$71,000 whereas the top-notch Ultimate Pack Genesis is priced at AU$82,000. The new flagship luxury sedan goes on sale mid-November.
Hyundai has provided all the details for the Australian-spec Genesis in the press release below.
Game-changing Genesis launches in Australia
- Hyundai’s much-anticipated luxury sedan goes on sale mid-November
- Genesis brings premium design, quality and luxury within reach of more Australian buyers
- Comprehensive equipment list includes Hyundai-first technology, benchmark safety features and class-leading standard equipment
- Exemplary body strength contributes to superb ride and handling
- Exceptionally low NVH and award-winning suite of active and passive safety features
- Maximum five-star ANCAP Safety Rating – highest safety score in ANCAP history
- 3.8-litre GDi V6 with 232kW/397Nm matched to Hyundai 8-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual shift and paddle shifters
- 6.5-second 0-100km/h
- Year-long local suspension tuning program delivers Australian-focused ride and handling
- 5 Year / 75,000km inclusive servicing plan
- Guaranteed buy-back program
- Prices start at $60,000 (Sensory Pack: $71,000, Ultimate Pack: $82,000)
Hyundai has launched its most significant, sophisticated and technologically advanced car yet – the acclaimed Genesis sedan.
Genesis is Hyundai’s high-tech global flagship and easily the most advanced and luxurious car ever to wear a Hyundai badge.
It delivers ground-breaking levels of refinement and astonishing value for money, and embodies Hyundai’s flourishing reputation as a global automotive pacesetter.
Importantly, for Australia the handsome and prestigious Genesis has been specified and locally tuned to match the world’s big-name prestige and luxury car brands for a fraction of their prices.
In terms of cabin space and luxury, Genesis matches or exceeds the prestige and luxury car establishment against which it was benchmarked. And thanks to Hyundai’s commitment to delivering value to customers, this impressive combination of sophistication, technology and capability is remarkably attainable.
While the left-hand-drive-only first-generation ‘BH’ Genesis garnered rave reviews and major awards — including the coveted 2009 North American Car of the Year – the all new second-generation DH model eclipses its predecessor in every way.
DH has already collected a long list of international design, quality and technology awards. Included in those awards are the prestigious Red Dot Product Design and iF (International Forum Design GmbH) awards.
Following technical development at Hyundai’s R&D Centre in Namyang, Korea, high-speed and durability testing of the DH Genesis was carried out at the famed Nordschleife part of the Nurburgring, in Germany, and at Yeongam Circuit, Korea. Extreme hot-weather testing was conducted in Death Valley, Colorado (USA), while extreme cold-weather testing was carried out on Sweden’s famed Argeplog Lake. Final durability testing was also carried out in Eastern and Central Australia.
As well as 5* ANCAP rating, Genesis was awarded the highest ANCAP score ever achieved in local crash testing. Like its predecessor, this second-generation Genesis has also been awarded a 2014 Top Safety Pick+ Award, the highest honour given by America’s Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Genesis also earned a coveted ‘Good’ rating in the demanding IIHS small overlap crash test.
Significantly, the new Genesis also was ranked highest in the influential JD Power IQS (Initial Quality Study), the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality, measured after 90 days of ownership.
Thanks to the exhaustive attentions of Hyundai Motor Company Australia’s Product Planning and Engineering team, the rear-wheel-drive Genesis was further refined to deliver uniquely Australian-focused driveability.
The arrival of the important new Genesis here emphatically ushers in a new era in Australia’s prestige and luxury car landscape.
AUSTRALIAN-TUNED FOR AUSTRALIAN ROADS AND DRIVERS
The Genesis presented the biggest challenge yet to Hyundai’s local suspension development team, led by Senior Manager Product Engineering Hee Loong Wong and Senior Manager Product Planning Andrew Tuitahi – and utilising the master skills of tuning guru David Potter.
“Genesis gave us a huge challenge, partly because we had very high expectations for the car,” says Andrew Tuitahi, Hyundai Motor Company Australia’s Senior Manager Product Planning.
“While we had an exceptionally good platform to work with and a great base to build upon, we were up against extremely tough benchmarks in BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lexus and Jaguar,” Tuitahi says. “Add the locally developed Holden and Ford prestige models into the mix, along with the Chrysler 300, and that’s a spread of very capable sedans.”
Fine-tuning the Genesis for Australian roads – and, significantly, the expectations of Australian drivers – meant rigorous on-road testing and extensive computer modelling by the HMCA team responsible for, among others, the acclaimed Australia-only SR models, Veloster Turbo, Elantra Series II and ix35 Series II.
“The car was perfect for its main target markets: the US, Europe and, of course, the Korean domestic market. It’s perfect for their tastes, it performs well for their roads, and its owners will be very happy with it. In fact, I can confidently say they will be hugely impressed by it.”
“But Australian road surfaces remain some of the world’s most challenging, and I think that as a whole we enjoy driving in a different way to drivers in other countries.”
“Australian drivers expect their car to handle in a certain way,” says Tuitahi. “There’s a higher expectation of cars here – they need to be able to handle and ride really well and remain composed on our roads. So what we were looking for was a uniquely Australian-focused combination of those qualities.”
Beginning early this year, the team exhaustively evaluated 42 individual combinations of springs, stabiliser bars and dampers, including 13 different front dampers and 19 rear dampers.
“Every tune is about finding the best compromise for that particular vehicle, relative to usage, customer preference and road condition,” Tuitahi says.
“For Genesis, as a team, we didn’t want compromise. We wanted supreme everyday ride comfort combined with fantastic body control and recovery. We wanted passenger isolation combined with driver engagement and adjustability. We wanted calm and easy cruising combined with handling dynamics that get better the harder you push. We expected boulevard cruising combined with corrugated dirt road touring. And we wanted European luxury combined with the best qualities of an Australian large sedan.
“I’m confident that in our tuning work on Genesis we achieved those objectives.”
EQUIPMENT AND FEATURES
Australia’s model range starts with the comprehensively equipped Genesis, which can be augmented via the Genesis Sensory and Genesis Ultimate option packs.
Common to Genesis is an astonish array of standard safety, technology, comfort and convenience features, many of which are available only as extremely expensive options in the Genesis’ big-name competitors, or not at all.
Genesis equipment levels in Australia are:
- 9 airbags:driver & front passenger, driver knee, driver & front passenger side (thorax), rear passenger side (thorax), full length curtain
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC)
- Smart High Beam
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Pre Safety System including front seatbelt pretensioners
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) incorporating Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist System (BAS)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) & Traction Control System (TCS)
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Tyre-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights with washer system and auto-levelling
- Static Bending Lights
- LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
- Rear-view camera with parking guide
- Parking Assist System (PAS) with guidance (4 sensors front and 4 sensors rear)
- Seatbelt reminder (all seats)
- Leather Appointed interior
- Premium steering wheel and gearknob
- 9.2-inch Satellite Navigation system
- Lexicon 17-speaker premium audio system
- Proximity Smart Key with push-button start
- Dual-zone climate control with auto defog function
- 12-way Power driver’s and passengers seat
- Heated front seats
- Electronic Park Brake (EPB)
- 18-inch alloy wheels & 245/45 R18 Hankook tyres
- Smart Boot function (hands-free power-open function)
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear power blind
- 4.2-inch LCD Supervision cluster
- Electro-Chromatic Mirror (ECM) with auto-dimming interior mirror
- Electric folding side mirrors
- Puddle lights (Genesis logo illumination) in side mirrors with courtesy lights in door handles
- One-touch window up and down function on all windows incorporating anti-pinching safety feature
- Interior mood lights
- One-touch turn signal (3,5 & 7 flashes)
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
- Solar control glass
- Dual-zone climate control with auto defog function
GENESIS – SENSORY PACK:
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- Head-Up Display (HUD)
- Around-View Monitor (AVM)
- Premium Leather appointed interior
- Power Bolster and extendable base (driver’s seat)
- Driver’s seat memory system
- Power tilt & telescopic steering
- Electro-chromatic auto-dipping exterior mirrors
- CO2 sensor
- LED front foglights
GENESIS – ULTIMATE PACK (includes Sensory Pack items plus):
- Panoramic glass roof
- Power door latches (automatic soft-closing function)
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Noise reducing acoustic glass
- Power bootlid
- 7-inch LCD Supervision cluster
- 19-inch alloy wheels & 245/40 R19 (front) & 275/35 R19 (rear)
- Dunlop tyres
- Illuminated front scuff plates (with Genesis logo)
- Rear door side curtains
|Drive||Engine||Transmission||Genesis||Sensory Pack||Ultimate Pack|
|RWD||3.8L GDi V6 Petrol||8 Speed Automatic||$60,000||$71,000||$82,000|
* All prices are Manufacturer’s List Price. Price excludes dealer delivery and on road costs
EXCLUSIVE iCARE SUPPORT FOR GENESIS
The Genesis comes with an exclusive Hyundai iCare Inclusive Service Plan, with complimentary servicing for the first five years, or 75,000km, of ownership.
The Genesis iCare Program’s complimentary servicing incorporates all scheduled maintenance items including labour, parts, lubricants and sundries such as oil and workshop supplies.
Like every new Hyundai passenger vehicle, the Genesis is backed by Australia’s first five-year unlimited kilometre warranty.
The Genesis iCare Program also includes Hyundai’s range-wide Lifetime Capped Price Servicing. Lifetime Capped Price Servicing means Hyundai owners know the exact cost of their next scheduled service for the lifetime of their car.
Genesis owners also receive Hyundai’s complimentary Hyundai Care MapCare Plan, which provides three years’ free map updates for their car’s cutting-edge factory-fitted satellite-navigation system.
Like all Hyundais, the Genesis is supported by Hyundai’s 12-month complimentary Roadside Assist Program. Through Hyundai iCare Service Centres, the program can be extended to 10 years.