Chevrolet has announced that the Chevrolet Spark EV will be available for sale in the state of Maryland from this spring. The Spark EV is priced as low as US$17,845, after federal and Maryland tax credits.
The Spark EV made its debut in the USA in June 2013. Currently, California and Oregon are the only other states offering the electric vehicle. In 2014, only 1,118 of the EV were sold. However, the company still claims that the Spark EV has been one of the most well-received electric vehicles in the industry.
The Spark EV’s GM-built electric motor is assembled at its plant in White Marsh. The emissions-free vehicle has a driving range of 82 miles (130 km) and supports DC fast charging which can charge 80% battery in 20 minutes.
More information is available in the press release below.
Customer demand drives addition of East Coast; features locally sourced drive unit – Press Release
Chevrolet will start selling the Spark EV in Maryland this spring, expanding the pure electric mini-car’s “range” to the East Coast.
The Spark EV is the most efficient U.S. retail electric vehicle on the market, delivering an EPA-estimated combined city/highway 119 MPGe fuel economy equivalent and 82 miles of EPA-estimated combined city/highway range.
It is priced as low as $17,845, after federal and Maryland tax credits – and it features a locally sourced electric motor and drive unit, manufactured at General Motors’ Baltimore Operations facility in White Marsh, Md.
“The Spark EV has been one of the most well-received electric vehicles in the industry and customer demand helped make the decision to expand its availability to Maryland,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet director of car marketing. “Following the introduction of the next-generation Volt and Bolt EV concept, this further reinforces Chevrolet’s commitment to electrification and delivering more choices where our customers want them.”
Chevrolet introduced the 2016 Volt and Bolt EV concept earlier this month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The second-generation Volt increases its all-electric driving range to 50 miles, with a total range estimated at more than 400 miles, thanks to its range-extending generator motor.
The Bolt EV concept is a vision for an affordable, long-range all-electric vehicle designed to offer more than 200 miles of range starting around $30,000 after tax incentives.
“Maryland has a strong commuter market and a good charging infrastructure, which influenced the decision to make it the Spark EV’s first East Coast market,” said Majoros. “We also have a strong dealership network in the Old Line State that’s eager to offer it.”
Chevrolet requires service training certification before a dealer is authorized to sell the Spark EV because of its unique propulsion system.
The Spark EV is also sold in California and Oregon, where sales totaled 1,145 in 2014 – an 86.5-percent increase over the previous year.
Spark EV at a glance
Chevrolet Spark EV is designed to meet the transportation needs of urban dwellers, with an all-electric driving experience. Its GM-built motor and drive unit deliver 327 lb-ft (444 Nm) of instant torque, enabling a 0-60 time of 7.2 seconds.
It is also one of the most maneuverable EVs, with a 12.2-foot overall length and a tight 33.8-foot turning radius – making it ideal for the tight confines of city streets and parking spaces.
Three available levels of recharging capability include the industry’s first use of the recently approved SAE combo charger for DC fast charging, which charges 80 percent of the battery in just 20 minutes. Aero refinements, unique wheels and tires and active shutter system on the grille opening help extend the Spark EV’s range. Storing that energy from the charging process and the vehicle’s regenerative braking capability is a 19-kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
The four-passenger, five-door Spark EV is available in 1LT and 2LT trim levels. Additional highlights:
- Standard Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment system provides a seven-inch-diagonal color touch-screen that shows critical vehicle EV functions and connects with the owner’s smartphone for infotainment that includes apps for Pandora, Stitcher, TuneIn global internet radio and BringGo full-function navigation (requires smartphone app purchase). For those with compatible iPhones, the system brings the Siri Personal Assistant into the car.
- Standard OnStar 4G LTE with available Wi-Fi hotspot (includes three-month/3GB trial period)
- Standard remote start/cabin pre-conditioning, heated driver and front passenger seats, push-button start
- The front brakes include an electro-hydraulic regenerative brake system that captures braking energy – wasted in a conventional vehicle – and transfers it to the battery system.
GM engineers have driven more than 1 million miles and completed 4 million hours of validation on the battery packs. Comprehensive warranty coverage includes:
- Three-year/36,000-mile warranty
- Eight-year/100,000-mile drive battery warranty
- Five-year/100,000-mile transferrable powertrain warranty that includes emergency roadside assistance and courtesy transportation
- Six-year/100,000-mile rust-through warranty.